Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

25/04/2013

Wild life and witch craft

We don't live that far from Pendle Hill - famous for all sorts of witchy happenings and spooky things.

A couple of weekends ago we walked up a sister hill to Pendle which has been peppered with sculptures. Aitkin Wood clings to the side of the hill with a winding pathway meandering through the trees, here huge spiders and flying bats lurk above head height.

A witch hunter, carved from a single piece of wood, stares solemnly out from the undergrowth. In his wooden grasp he holds the deeds to hunt down Alice Nutter. Down the valley a chained sculpture of an incarcerated Alice walks to her doom.


Further down the hill swarms of bats and a huge spider web catches the sunlight.
 





I loved this gateway -  the roots  jammed in the circular frame seemed tortured as they tried to stretch free.

 A tall totem of pot 'stones' with it's spirals and glazed circles stood quietly in a glade -
 inviting touch and investigation 


 Trees - already felled had taken on a new life - with sinuous snake like forms.  


Magic still lingers in this area.....................






5 comments:

  1. What wonderful sculptures! Love the snakes and bats and, well all of it! Another on my place-to-visit list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely carvings but eerie at the same time. Your photographs seem to capture the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the gateway too, but they're all really interesting. What an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant, I want to go there. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun little place, and stunningly beautiful ideas too, but I wonder who created it and who maintains it all??

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.